Monday, February 7, 2011

LRT Station Availability to Walkers



Hello nobody (I'm waiting to advertise until I have some content built up so you get a worthwhile visit!)


Today I've done a little doodling on the Calgary Transit system map (all credit to them for the original map). I've done two maps, The first of which has each LRT station highlighted in black with 2 radius' around it. The purpose of this map is really to get people to see if they should be taking the train. The
red radius represents 1 km and the blue 1.5 km. If you live inside of one of these bubbles, and your destination is also within one of these bubbles, you should probably give the roads a break and take the train. These are strictly distance and do not reflect obstacles and other things that may force you to take a detour. To compensate for this, I've added time on top of a 5km/hour walking rate to give a more realistic expectation of time spent walking.






The other map that I've drawn overlays the 1km radius while comparing it to the total city size. This allows us to see how effective the train is at covering Calgary. The wikipedia entry for Calgary notes that the city area is 726.50 km sq. but the crude measurements that I did in photoshop make the city out to be only 301 km sq. There is a discrepancy somewhere there, and I'm accounting it to city owned land (726.5 km sq.) compared with my outlined city inhabited land (301 km sq.) Anyways, my measurements make Calgary Transit look better, and for that purpose, I opted for them. The C-train currently only covers about 20% of Calgary. A transit oriented development would probably want to see that number somewhere near 50-60% with the minority of people having to resort to cars/buses.





No comments:

Post a Comment