Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Awesome Link! Community Growth Simulator

Hey All (or none!)

I wanted to share a link my Dad sent my way. It is a "Community Growth Simulator" for Albertan cities.

http://www.alces.ca/aref/

There are some really neat features listed here and some very cool visualizations of our cities consuming land at a very alarming rate. It tracks the growth from 1951-2007 and projects the future based on that data set. It looks like Calgary and Airdrie will be starting a tickle fight in about 2033, and by 2045 (the year man becomes immortal) Calgary will begin to consume Okotoks and Cochrane. I'm not sure about you, but I don't want my kids to have to suffer rush hour traffic all the way from Okotoks to Balzaac. Stopping Calgary's growth at the ring road makes sense to me. Land-wise we're already quite large with a measly population density of about 1200 people/sq. km. Increasing Calgary's land size will only lead to increased traffic on an already stressed system.

No comments:

Post a Comment